Stages of Life:-
Previous Ministers have encouraged people in the Parish to come at all stages of their lives. In 2016 there were 15 baptisms, 6 weddings and 44 funerals.
Previous Ministers have acted as Chaplain to Barnhill Primary School and we currently provide Christmas and Easter Services, a prize giving Service and P7 leavers’ lunch.
A number of members are actively involved with Monifieth High School, in particular with paired reading.
A Weekly Café – held in the Foyer of the Church Hall on a Wednesday caters through school terms for in excess of 40 people offering fellowship, good food and company.
Shiell Court is a retirement housing complex visited on a monthly basis providing not only a short act of Worship but refreshments including home baking which is much appreciated. Communion is also given twice a year.
Communication – the Congregational Newsletter ‘Network’ is delivered on a quarterly basis to every home in the Congregation and once a year to the whole Parish. This spreads the message and communicates the activities of the Church. Traditionally, Christmas and Easter cards are delivered to every home in the Parish. Both Network and the cards are printed in-house. The Church also has a website at www.bsmchurch.org.uk and a Facebook page.
The Ministry of Flowers – flowers are donated each week to decorate the Church and these are then distributed to the elderly, sick or bereaved. At Harvest posies are sent out to the house bound and elderly with donated food items going to the Foodbank.
Broughty Ferry Churches act together to take hot-cross buns with the message of Easter out into the streets of Broughty Ferry on Good Friday.
Food – we have lots of opportunities to gather to share food, eg Harvest Lunch/Supper, Souper Sunday, Easter Supper, Kirk Session tea, Christian Aid BBQ etc not forgetting cake at every opportunity.
Other Events – various events have taken place to encourage members to invite friends along, such as:-
- Two successful pantomimes in 2015 and 2016 with one planned for January 2018;
- A silent auction;
- Various art & craft fayres and music shows;
- Fashion show including a show of wedding dresses throughout the ages;
- An annual family weekend to Crieff;
- An annual golf outing;
- Collections for Foodbank and Starter Packs;
- Christmas Fayre including a visit from Santa!
- An afternoon Tea Party is held in May/June for
our mature members and their friends;
- A Pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 2012 – this was a
life changing experience for all 16 of our own congregation along with 10 from other Churches.
- We have also supported the following:-
- Shoebox Appeal;
- Mary’s Meals;
- Women’s Aid Refuge Giving Tree;
- Salvation Army Men in Crises Appeal
- Christian Aid:-Barnhill St Margaret’s has a long association with the work of Christian Aid. Members are involved in Christian Aid Week.
- Philippines:-We support the work of two ministries in the Philippines raising money by way of various fund raising events, they are:-Tondo Dump in Manilla run by Ron & Joanna
Sefton Village, Squatter’s Camp and Prison Ministry run by August and Vivien
These four young people have visited the Church to tell us first hand about the work that they do and have inspired us to support them.